Fountain PenOnce you have made the decision to sell your property and have received a valuation from us, there are several important steps you now need to take.

You are required by law to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when selling a property, which one of our recommended accredited assessors can provide you with.

The EPC certificate will be specific for your home and rates energy consumption, as well as making recommendations on how to reduce consumption.  The rating provided within the certificate takes form in a sliding scale of A being the most efficient through to G being the least. 

Having your EPC completed at this early stage in the process now gives you time to make relevant changes to improve your property energy performance if needed.  If there are ways you can improve your property’s energy efficiency, speak to us for advice on whether implementing these pre sale could help increase your property’s value.

At Mackenzie Smith we recognise the need for speedy and professional conveyancing for both sellers and buyers.  As such,  we advise our clients to instruct solicitors as soon as we begin to market your property this saves valuable time and creates early momentum.

To aid this process, we have negotiated preferential terms and unique service standards with leading local solicitors, to ensure your home sale/purchase goes through smoothly with the minimum of fuss.  By getting legally prepared early, this will allow the pre-contract to go out soon after the memorandum, which can significantly speed up the entire sales process.

There are several key documents that you will need to prepare for your solicitor, so ensure you have copies of all of these in a safe place and to hand:

  • Personal identification
  • Lender’s information if you have a mortgage
  • Completed property information form which will include boundaries, building certificates
  • Details of any changes that have been made to the property since purchase

There is nothing worse than a last minute panic when it comes to locating all those important documents regarding the ownership of your home.  Collating everything early on will not only allow you to move faster in the selling process, but will also save you stress later on.

Key documents to source and provide your agent with include:

  • Building regulations certificates
  • Gas and electrical certificates
  • Council tax, utility, buildings and contents insurance bills
  • Service charges and ground rent costs (where applicable)

It is also a good idea to think about what fixtures and fittings you will be including in your sale. 

For more advice on any of these matters, please contact your local branch:

Ash Vale (01252) 353030           

Farnborough (01252) 375999

Fleet (01252) 812121

Hartley Wintney (01252) 844015

Hook (01256) 764666