At this time of year we want to look forward to festivities and make sure all the shopping is done, so the prospect of moving house is probably the last thing on our minds.
However, if you are moving at this time, with some careful planning it needn’t be a stressful affair. Here are our top tips for moving home.
- Book your removal company A.S.A.P. The run up to Christmas is always a busy time and some people may be looking to book time off, so the sooner you can secure your removal firm, the better.
- If you have a precise moving date, check the weather forecast as bad weather, snow and ice could have an impact on the removal company or your own efforts in moving boxes and belongings.
- Organise your packing well in advance. Start packing items you are less likely to need straight away and this is also a good opportunity to declutter and donate any unwanted items to charity shops or festive appeals.
- Another helpful packing tip is buy to gift vouchers as Christmas presents to save space and don’t forget to label the Christmas decoration boxes if you are planning to celebrate in your new home.
- Use your Christmas cards to notify your friends and family of your change of address.
- Make sure that your valuables, passports and jewellery are kept in a safe and secure place and that you remember where you put them.
- If you are taking any outdoor furniture with you e.g. tables, chairs, BBQs, make sure these are clean and ready to go.
- The last thing you want to do is think about food shopping. Consider having an online order delivered to your new address and plan early as slots get booked up well in advance. Having a takeaway menu of somewhere close by could also be handy.
- Moving home in winter could mean part of the move takes place in the dark, so check you have a supply of torches, lightbulbs and batteries.
- It’s important to settle in quickly and make yourself feel at home, a few throws and cushions will make you home feel cosy in no time.
By planning your move carefully and labelling all your boxes so you can unpack quickly, you will be able to keep your spirits up and enjoy your first Christmas in your new home.
If you are not on the market yet but would like to discuss marketing your home now, to sell in the New Year, please click the valuation button below.